A. Baccalaureate Programs

A student normally must be registered as a degree student in the program for the degree being awarded. However, a student registered in an honours program may apply to graduate from a general program in the same degree or a different degree, provided that all of the conditions for graduation for that degree have been satisfied using the calendar that is in effect at the time of application. A student with a non-degree program type is not considered for graduation. Non-degree students who have completed between 15.00 and 20.00 credits should check with their program counsellor to determine whether they are eligible to graduate with a degree.

Up to 50% of the requirements for a degree-credit certificate can be applied towards a degree program specialization in order to hold both a degree with a specialization and a specialized certificate.

1. Program and Calendar Requirements

The conditions for graduation are regulated by the degree programs. Program specific conditions for graduation are outlined in Section X--Undergraduate Degree Programs. Students must satisfy the schedule of studies requirements for the academic calendar in effect at the time of their last admission to the program or at the time of any subsequent change in majors or areas of concentration. Where students select additional majors, areas of concentration, or minors, the calendar used to determine the schedule of studies can be the same as the calendar used for the major or the requirements that are in effect at the time of declaration. Students may declare a schedule of studies from an alternate calendar if program approval is obtained.

Students who are on suspension for academic misconduct will not be permitted to graduate during the period of the suspension.

2. Academic Residence Requirements

  1. At least 5.00 of the credits required for graduation by the student's program must be taken at the University of Guelph.
  2. At least 60% of the 3000 and 4000 level courses required for graduation must be taken at the University of Guelph.

University of Guelph courses include courses taken on exchange and on study abroad programs, and Open Learning program courses (degree credit weight). Letter of permission courses are not included.

3. Honours Equivalent

Students from the University of Guelph or another university may upgrade a general degree to an honours degree (within the same degree program) to obtain an Honours Equivalent recognition. Students may also upgrade a degree from the honours program by the completion of an additional specialization to qualify for the Honours Equivalent recognition. These students must be readmitted to an honours equivalent program. All previous University of Guelph credits are eligible for consideration toward the equivalent degree from the honours program.

To be granted an Honours Equivalent, students must satisfy the University of Guelph residence requirements. In addition, students must satisfy the conditions for graduation for the specified honours program using the calendar that is in effect at the time of admission into the honours equivalent program. Normally, all degree program regulations will apply to the Honours Equivalent specialization.

The students who are granted the Honours Equivalent designation do not participate in a convocation program, but have the designation shown on their transcript and may receive a new degree parchment upon application, subject to payment of the appropriate fee. Note, parchment replacement applies to Guelph graduates only.

4. Second Degrees

Students from the University of Guelph or from another university may graduate with a second undergraduate degree from the University of Guelph, under the following conditions:

  1. Students who have graduated with their first degree must apply to the University of Guelph for admission to the second degree program. A maximum of 10.00 credits may be transferred from the initial degree program.
  2. In-course University of Guelph students may apply to graduate with two degrees at the same convocation. A maximum of 10.00 credits may be transferred from the declared program to the undeclared program.

In a) and b), the course content of the second degree program must be substantially different from that of the first. A second degree is judged to be substantially different if:

  • The specializations are in different subject areas as listed in Chapter XII--Course Descriptions; or
  • The schedule of studies requirements are substantially different (no more than 25% overlap). This rule is also applicable to different subject areas within the same degree program, allowing, for example, a second B.A. or B.Sc. degree to be awarded as long as the criteria are met.

B. Certificate and Diploma Programs

To be granted a Certificate or Diploma, the conditions outlined in Chapter XI--Certificates and Diplomas must be satisfied using the calendar that is in effect at the time of admission to the General Studies program or the Non-Degree category, or at the time of declaration of the Certificate or Diploma. Students who are granted a Certificate or Diploma do not convocate, but have the designation shown on their OpenEd transcript.

C. Procedures

Student's Responsibilities

A student must submit a formal application in order to be considered as a candidate for a degree or diploma at a specific convocation. There are three convocation periods throughout the year-- early October, mid-February, and early June. An application for graduation must be submitted by the student no later than the deadline for the specific convocation period as specified in Chapter III--Schedule of Dates. Late applications will be accepted with the submission of a late fee (refer to Chapter VI--Schedule of Fees).

Following submission of the application to graduate, the student will receive confirmation of the application, along with information on subsequent procedures. An additional late fee will be assessed in those cases where changes are requested by the student after the deadline date as this will affect the printing of the degree/diploma parchment.

Although the Office of Registrarial Services will attempt to send an email to every potential graduate inviting them to apply to graduate via WebAdvisor for Students (My Application for Graduation), it is the student's responsibility to ensure that they submit their application for graduation by the published deadline dates in Chapter III - Schedule of Dates. Specific applications details are as follows:

Application for a Certificate or Diploma

A student who is registered in the General Studies program or the non-degree program and who expects to complete the requirements as set down in Chapter XI of the calendar for one of the certificate or diploma programs, should contact the Open Learning and Educational Support.

Application for Graduation from Degree Programs

An email inviting students to apply to graduate via Web-Advisor for students (My Application for Graduation) will be sent to each student registered in a general degree program when their completed, plus in progress, credits equal 15.00 credits or more; and to students registered in an honours degree program when their completed plus in progress credits equal 20.00 credits or more. All other students with an active academic program who wish to apply to graduate may access 'My Application for Graduation' on WebAdvisor for Students.

Students who are not currently active students must submit a hard-copy Application for Graduation form, accompanied by the appropriate fee. This application form and instructions for the completion of the application are available at

It is the responsibility of the student to submit the completed form prior to the published deadline date.

Application for Honours Equivalent

A student who is registered in an honours equivalent program who expects to complete the requirements as set down in the calendar for one of the honours programs, should submit an "Application for Completion of Honours Equivalent" form available from the Undergraduate Graduation and Convoction Coordinator, Enrolment Services, Office of Registrarial Services. The same deadlines for applications to graduate apply to the applications for honours equivalent.

Chair's Responsibilities

The department chair receives both the Academic Evaluations for all students who have applied for a degree with a specialization administered by that department and a listing of those students. The department chair (or designate) must review these records to determine if each student has satisfied:

  1. general University requirements,
  2. overall program requirements and
  3. specialization requirements.

Each check is to be reported on the form supplied, and the form is to be forwarded to the program counsellor by the date specified on the accompanying memorandum. If an applicant satisfies the requirements for the degree, or diploma sought, Registrarial Services will report the name of the student to the Registrar. If an applicant fails to satisfy any requirement(s), Registrarial Services will inform the student of that decision.

Registrar's Responsibilities

Enrolment Services, Office of Registrarial Services initiates an "Application for Graduation" process for the appropriate group of regular and special students.

Enrolment Services processes those applications received prior to the deadline and forwards a confirmation of both the receipt of the application and the information supplied by the student and advises students of the date and time of the convocation ceremonies.

Enrolment Services forwards Academic Evaluation and check sheets to department chairs to obtain decisions on eligibility of the applicants. Enrolment Services informs students not approved by the departments of the rejection and the reasons for it.

The Undergraduate Graduation and Convoction Coordinator will present a list of all recommended graduands to the Registrar for approval.

D. Standing on Graduation

Standing on graduation is noted on the transcript for graduates as follows:

  • Degree with Distinction - Cumulative average of 80% or higher.
  • Degree with Honours - Cumulative average of 70-79%.
  • Degree with Standing - Cumulative average of less than 70%.

Standing is only based on the internal University of Guelph academic record. For the DVM Program standing on graduation is based on the average of the marks received for those courses completed after admission to the program. Graduation standing is noted on the student's official transcript after graduation has taken place. The standing is not printed on the student's parchment.

E. Notation on Transcript

Official transcripts from the University of Guelph will not show that a degree has been conferred until after the convocation.