Major Research Project or Paper for Course-based Master’s Programs

In some course-based programs, a Major Research Project or Paper (MRP) may be required as part of the degree requirements. The MRP is assigned a course number and appropriate number of credits by the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and Board of Graduate Studies. The MRP course may extend over two semesters. A course outline provided to the student at the outset of work should clearly define expectations of achievement and the methods and criteria used in establishing final grades for the major paper or major project course. The student's performance will be indicated through assignment of a numeric grade or a designation of satisfactory (SAT) or unsatisfactory (UNS). All evaluations will be completed by a member of the graduate faculty, and at least two graduate faculty members will contribute to the assessment of at least 50% of the final grade. A copy of the major paper or project must be deposited in the department or school in which the student is registered.