Academic Residence Requirements

The academic residence requirement is at least 6.00 credits required for graduation by the student's program that must be taken at the University of Guelph. 

University of Guelph courses include courses taken on exchange and on study abroad programs. Letter of permission courses are not included.


"Application for Graduation" is available on the student’s Webadvisor Account on the dates published.

Students who do not have access to WebAdvisor should contact the Registrar of their campus. It is the responsibility of the student to submit the completed form prior to the deadline date.

Applications for each convocation ceremony must be submitted by the deadline dates specified in Chapter III--Schedule of Dates. Late applications will be accepted for up to 10 working days after the due date with the submission of a late fee (refer to Chapter VI--Schedule of Fees). After 10 working days late applications will not be accepted but will be held for a subsequent ceremony.


Students must satisfy the schedule of studies requirements for the Associate Diploma Calendar in effect at the time of their last admission to the program if possible.

Conditions for Graduation

Students in Associate Diploma programs require a minimum of 12.00 credits to graduate. A minimum of 6.00 credits must be earned in the specific diploma program at the University of Guelph; a maximum of 6.00 transfer credits for approved equivalent courses will be allowed.

Students completing a second University of Guelph diploma may transfer, with approval, a maximum of 6.00 credits from their first diploma.

Graduation Application Fee

Applications for graduation which are submitted after the published deadline will be assessed a late fee.

Time Limitations

The approved program must be completed within five consecutive calendar years from the time of initial registration at the University. This applies to part-time as well as full-time students.

Students, regardless of program, who do not register in their program of studies for 6 or more consecutive semesters are required to apply for readmission. Students who are studying on exchange programs, study abroad, or work terms are considered to be registered at the University.